Sunday, March 13, 2011

Still in Seoul - Day 4 (i)

I like learning history. I love visiting museums but from my previous experiences, museums in Asia were boring. It simply makes you not appreciate history. So of lately, I rarely visit any museums. One day, I will travel to France just to see the Louvre museum.

"I wanna be a millionaire so damn bad
see all of the things I wanna see
uh, I wanna go Paris
smiling next to you and the Louvre

[Chorus]
Oh every time I close my eyes
I see my name on newspapers, in the bestest part
A different city every night oh
I swear the world better prepare
for when I’m a millionaire!.."


Billionaire by Travie McCoy and Jason Mraz. And a "Millionaire" version by me :) Never wanted to be a billionaire, just millionaire will do.

War Memorial Museum





This is an educational museum that aptly describes the futility of war. Located in a huge area, it consists of different kind of sculptures, old military tanks, planes and even ships. For a kid, it is like going to a dreamland of toys. However, it is a poignant reminder for many young Koreans who sacrificed their lives so that the people will be free from communism.



In my opinion, Communism is an ideology but it cannot sustain people's growing demand. Without capitalism, there will not be inovations. People will always be depended on the state for welfare and there's no country in the world that existed here without capitalism.

Cuba and N. Korea are examples of isolated communist countries but somehow the citizens have their own black market selling goods. Even before democracy and communism ideology were founded, capitalism had long ago been imprinted in societies.

According to the homepage, there is an admission fee of 3000 Won for adult but when I went there, I entered for free. It is closed on Mondays. With an hour plus, we did not even managed to see everything in the museum. The museum consists of many different rooms and some of them have TVs with documentaries about Korean War.

Getting there?



It is close to Exit 12 of Samgakji Station (삼각지) on line 4 and 6. From here, walk to the place (less than 5 minutes) or preferably take a taxi there. The place is called 전쟁기념관 or The War Memorial of Korea.

As it was winter, the area was very beautiful for photography. After the whole trip, from here we headed to Itaewon 이태원 again. This time, we were really hungry.

Route:

삼각지 to 이태원 (all in line 6)









We had our heavy buffet meal at Maharaja Restaurant (an Indian Pakistani restaurant) at 11000 Won. The only thing I disliked was that food varieties were lacking. Though it was a buffet, the food were all curried minus the pasta and naan bread. The restaurant is halal.


PS. Hope you enjoy reading my long posts. Or do you not? :)

No comments:

You might also like..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning" ~Winston Churchill~