Thursday, April 28, 2011

Japchae (잡채) - The Royal Dish

This is the second series of Korean food I had tried and would be recommending to you (for this month). Everything I wrote in this blog are from my experiences. I had seen, tasted and tried (minus the one with "ADV" tag) so I hope you enjoy reading them all :)


These days, I did not expect myself to be writing a lot (still exam week) but since today I have some spare time, why not? Travelling is great but eating the food is another thing. Sometimes, we have to be careful on what we eat because some food might be unhealthy and some just do not match with our taste buds.


A stall around Daegu market

Until now, I cannot eat and bare with the smell of fermented shrimps that is widely used as sauce in some Korean food. Moreover, I try to avoid eating fermented beans (usually in soups) if I can. It is the same with ramyeon, I only eat it during periods when the cafeteria or shop closes for holiday.

I have a belief that still hold true to this day. It's "Eat what you can eat, try what you haven't try and if you do not like it, just taste some and make it your last" Long huh? To simplify, it means try eating something new, if you don't like it, just don't eat it the next time. ermm... Same lah.. lol.


Direct translation : "Five senses satisfaction..."


The Royal Dish - Japchae

In Korea, there's a famous cuisine called Japchae or 잡채. At first, I thought it was just another curious Korean noodle cuisine. However, after staying in Korea for almost 2 years plus, I knew at last why Japchae is famous. During the Joseon dynasty, Japchae was among the dishes known as the Royal Cuisine.

Therefore in the past, only the wealthy and affluent were able to taste Japchae (잡채). These day, it is very easy to find it but like the Jeon (전), it is still been served as a side dish. Japchae consists of vegetables (usually spinach and carrot), glass noodles, shredded meat, mushrooms and sauces.

To make Japchae Step by Step


The best Japchae is one with perfectly sliced/shredded meat. It must neither be sliced too thick nor too thin because the seasoning will not be absorbed into the meat. Japchae can be served either hot or cold.

No comments:

You might also like..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning" ~Winston Churchill~